Sunday, July 25, 2010

Minty avocado shake

I started the ACD diet planning to one day be able to return to eating what most people think of as normal which would be a healthy balance of carbohydrates, protein and fats. That was before I discovered that my previous antibiotic overuse and heredity made me extremely sensitive to carbohydrates. What this means is I will be a prime candidate for reoccurring candida, if I don't follow a low-glycemic diet for the rest of my life.

I have people tell me all the time, "Well, you can't eat any of the 'good' stuff." Oh well, I guess I'm "sentenced" to a life of healthy eating.

Mint, avocado and spinach combined into a shake may sound like punishment to some but I definitely found it very easy to polish off most of an "minty avocado shake" before I realized I should take a picture. After snapping a picture of the now "mini" shake pictured above, I finished off the rest.

Minty Avocado Shake
(serves 1-2)
  1. 1/2 small avocado
  2. 1 cup packed spinach
  3. 1 cup unsweetened hemp milk
  4. 2 T. vegan rice protein
  5. 1/2 tsp. guar gum powder
  6. 2 T. fresh mint leaves
  7. 1 1/2 cups crushed ice
  8. 1/2-3/4 tsp. peppermint extract (Use an alcohol-free variety.)
  9. 20 or more drops of alcohol-free stevia (Use agave nectar if not on ACD.)

Blend all the ingredients until smooth in a blender or food processor. Adding the guar gum gives the shake a creamier texture. Enjoy with a sprig of mint on top.


Kona and Pumpkin sack out on a hot summer afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment