Thursday, December 2, 2010

How to Make Mascarpone Cheese

Please welcome our guest, Deeba Rajpal, from Passionate about Baking


When Nisrine invited me to do a blog post a few weeks ago, I said yes. I was honoured to be a guest at her beautiful blog Dinners & Dreams ... recipes, people,places. It is reflective of the 'connect' I endorse and celebrate in life. Food blogging has breathed new life into 'connect' for me, and it is an absolute pleasure that I have crossed paths with Nisrine. My passion lies in baking, savoury and sweet. Fruits fascinate me, as does soft cheese.












My advice to you, don't be frightened to experiment. That is the way cuisine was discovered. Play around with flavours and ingredients. Invest in basic equipment, and do make notes once you are done tasting. If unsure, make small quantities the first time. The heart ache is reduced if things go wrong, but don't give up!





How to Make Mascarpone Cheese

Ingredients:
4 ¼ cups (1 liter) whipping cream
2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice ( juice of 1.5 limes approx.)

Method:
Heat the cream over a waterbath until it reaches 180ºF/82ºC.

Stir in the lemon or lime juice and keep at the above temperature for a little while until it starts to become thicker.

Remove from heat. Cover and let sit at room temperature until the temperature is cooled down a bit.

Refrigerate for 12 hours or over night. The next day it will have thickened more.
Pour it in a strainer lined with a couple of layers of cheesecloth or clean towel. Refrigerate for 24 hours to let the whey drain.

For homemade ricotta and quark recipes, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment