Thursday, November 25, 2010

How to Make Butter

Please welcome our guest, Bryan Williamson, from Armchair Chef

I am so excited! Thank you so much Nisrine for letting me play a part in Dinners and Dreams; it means a lot to me! As for my "how to" contribution you might ask the question "Why on earth would you make butter?" Really I am not sure... bragging rights maybe. Kind of like growing a garden, just to say that I made something myself from the beginning to the end. To be honest I had my reservations about making butter I thought that I would end up with a slimy unpalatable mess, but it turns out it was easy.

Take 2 cups of heavy cream and pour into a mixing bowl, the amount doesn't really matter, just know that your cream will yield about 1/2 butter and 1/2 other stuff. Take your mixer and start beating at high speed you will get the cream going through all of the phases that you are used to.


Soft peaks























Stiff peaks






















Then it does something that doesn't make sense to my non-scientific mind... when you continue to beat it after stiff peaks the cream breaks, and butter starts to form. The lumpy mash is butter the liquid that separates from it is buttermilk. You have to use your hands here... pick up the butter and squeeze out as much liquid as you can then set in a strainer and run cold water over it to get as much of the watery liquid out as possible.























What is left is soft sweet butter. I sprinkled a little Kosher Salt on top then some green onion slices as a garnish in this picture it is with my Sourdough bread (something I am still figuring out)

No comments:

Post a Comment