Friday, November 19, 2010

Pecan Torte



I had what I’d like to call a "tarte Tatin moment" when making this torte. Let me explain; for those unfamiliar, the inventors of the tarte Tatin, the Tatin sisters, didn’t mean for their legendary apple tart to be upside down. It was a mistake, an accident from which one the most delicious of desserts in the whole world was born. Likewise I didn’t mean for my torte to be butter-less. I duly melted half a stick of butter in the microwave just to find out hours later that the entire bowl of melted butter was still there. It’s only then that I realized that the uber delicious and moist dessert I had been nibbling on all afternoon and couldn’t get enough of was completely butter-less. Imagine my joy! I quickly ran to my recipe and crossed out the butter. It simply didn’t need it. The oil from the pecans was more than enough to produce a delicate torte.




There is something totally amazing about this torte besides the absence of butter: every time I took a bite, I had the impression that I was eating baklava or some other similarly sweet, gooey, nutty Moroccan or Middle Eastern dessert. If I had one of those blindfolded taste tests, I could have sworn I was eating a scrumptious Moroccan honey-glazed pastry. It tasted just like one: rich, mellifluous, addictive. I was thrilled--no, beyond thrilled--to have a taste of home without all the caloric baggage. If I may add, it is also sugar-free and flourless!!


Pecan Torte Recipe


8 servings

2 cups shelled pecans
¼ teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8-inch springform or non-stick tart pan with cooking spray.

In a food processor, grind the pecans to a coarse meal.

In a large bowl, combine the ground pecans with salt. Whisk in the honey, eggs and vanilla extract until well combined.

Pour the batter in the prepared pan . Bake until set and lightly browned, 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment